The aim of this blog is to serve as a meeting point to those who study or have studied English philology and, more broadly, to all those who love literature and language.

26 Aug 2008

IS 'GENRE LITERATURE' AN OXYMORON?

La escritora Laurell K. Hamilton es la autora de varias novelas de fantasía y ciencia ficción que han alcanzado un gran éxito de ventas en Estados Unidos y han servido de base para varias novelas gráficas, igualmente muy apreciadas en el mundo del cómic. En una entrevista realizada el pasado mes de Abril explicaba cómo había sido expulsada de la escuela de escritura del Marion College (ahora Indiana Wesleyan University) debido a su tendencia a escribir lo que se denomina “literatura de género”. Estoy seguro de que en alguna parte hay alguien que conoce la razón por la que una novela pierde automáticamente todo su valor literario, por el solo hecho de pertenecer a un género definido (romance, misterio, horror, fantasía…). He aquí un fragmento de esa entrevista:
L.K. Hamilton: “I submitted two horror stories to get into the writing program; I made no pretense that I wanted to write anything else. What I didn´t realize until too late was that the president of the writing program accepted me with the idea that she would cure me and make me want to write what she considered proper writing. She told me that all genre was garbage, but I refused to write anything else. And within two to three weeks, half the class was writing genre – romance, science fiction, fantasy and mystery. But one fateful day before she kicked me out, I asked her, ‘What about Shakespeare? A Midsummer Night’s Dream is a fantasy. Macbeth doesn’t work without the ghosts. What about Dickens? A Christmas Carol is a ghost story’. She called me into her office and told me I would never write for publication. She was determined that I wouldn’t go out and do exactly what I have done. I’ve now corrupted millions (laughs).” Writer’s Digest. April 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment